By refunding orders in a professional way, you show your deep commitment to customers and might encourage the customer to purchase again in the future. Discover how Shopify Plus and Magento deal with refunding orders!
Depending on the return policy, sometimes, you will need to refund or cancel an order. You can refund the entire order or just a part of an order. It is up to you to decide.
By refunding the order in a quick and professional way, you will show your responsibility to customers and motivate them to come back again in the future.
Let’s see how Shopify Plus and Magento deal with a refund.
Shopify Plus: Refunding Orders
If you are using Shopify Payments and you deal with a refund, the amount is deducted from your next payout.
The refund usually takes 3-5 working days to be credited back to your buyer. If you are from the United Kingdom or Ireland and the payout doesn’t have enough funds for the refund, the remained is deducted from the next available payout (until the refunded amount is completely covered).
For other countries and regions, if the payout doesn’t have enough available fund, the balance is debited from the bank account on the payout day.
How to refund an entire order?
When you refund an order, you can restock the products and send a notification email to the buyer.
The products are automatically organized by their fulfillment status.
If you refund order by using Shopify POS (Points of Sale) you can refund the amount to the original payment method. If you need more information about Shopify POS, click here.
- Step 1: From Shopify Admin > Orders
- Step 2: Select the order you want to refund
- Step 3: Click Refund Items
- Step 4: Add the quantities of the products in the order.
- Step 5: Enter the shipping fee you want to refund (this is optional)
- Step 6: Enter a reason for the refund
- Step 7: Click Refund
Magento: Refunding Orders
To create a refund:
- Go to Sales > Orders
- Select an order that you would want to refund (Only invoiced purchases can be refunded)
- Click View > Credit Memo
- Find Refund Totals and click on it
- View Refund Subtotal (by entering the shipping price)
- Optional: if you want to add a comment to a refund, enter the text, click Append Comments.
- Go to Sales > Credit Memos to see the history of your refunds.
The customer can check the refund details in an email or his personal account.
— TeamWHHP (@TeamWHHP) 6 de febrero de 2018